Marine engine starters: tough, simple and cost-effective options
Marine engine starters only have to do one thing: start your engines every time. You trust them to power essential systems such as:
- Navigation systems
- Communications and alarms
- Emergency bilge and fire pumps
- Loading systems and pumps
But what if they don’t start? Electric starters can fail after shut-downs and in damp, cold or humid conditions – exactly what you face on waterways and at sea. Delays cost you revenue and customers. If you want reliable power you need a more reliable marine engine starter.
IPU’s engine starting systems are a robust and ultra-reliable solution for marine engines in any environment.
IPU marine engine starters
- Spring (Mechanical) Starter Motors – IPU’s spring starter motors provide reliable and cost-effective starting for diesel engines up to 12 litres. They deliver reliability through simplicity. To start an engine you simply wind the handle then release the trip lever. They are unaffected by temperature or damp and there’s no risk of waterway pollution.
- Hydraulic Starting – IPU’s hydraulic starting systems provide guaranteed starting for diesel engines up to 80 litres. They offer reliability, durability and independence from electrical systems.
- Air (Pneumatic) Starting – IPU’s air starters are a lightweight, powerful and compact solution for diesel engines up to 150 litres. They need no lubrication and are totally maintenance-free. They can operate using your existing air supply, saving space and costs by reducing the need for reduction valves or large air tanks.
Advantages of IPU marine engine starters
Have you ever had a genset fail because the starter motor battery had lost its charge? Do you know someone whose engine failed to start because a battery was weakened by the cold? IPU’s spring, hydraulic and air starting solutions offer unbeatable reliability because they don’t need a battery.
- Reliability in all environmental conditions – Batteries can be severely impacted by environmental conditions. They produce less power in colder temperatures because their chemical processes slow down. They may not have enough energy to crank the engine. IPU’s engine start systems are independent; they do not need a battery. Their reliability has been proven in extreme conditions from sub-zero temperatures off the Russian coast to the baking heat of the Arabian deserts.
- Reliability even after long shut-downs – Older batteries can struggle to hold their charge. This could leave your vessel out of commission. IPU’s starting solutions are reliable even after long shut-downs. Our spring starter motors are manually primed by winding a handle and our hydraulic and air starting systems can hold their energy indefinitely.
- Durable construction – IPU’s starting solutions are designed to last as long as your engine. The spring starter range is zinc plated with a powder-coated paint finish to withstand all marine environments. Our hydraulic and air starter motors are made from coated cast iron for maximum durability in rough environments.